There is nothing more satisfying than prepping a delicious, healthy, plant based meal, then walking away, knowing dinner will be a breeze to get on the table! These crockpot sweet potato tacos are baked in your slow cooker, much the way you’d make them in the oven, but without heating up your house or needing to check on the potatoes at all. And not only are they made with gorgeous fall colored veggies, but they are incredibly filling. I would say that I have a slightly above average appetite, and I could barely finish two tacos with a side of black beans.
I made quick pickled veggies to go along with my crockpot sweet potato tacos, which can also be made in the morning as you prep your potatoes. The zing and crunch of the pickles are the perfect compliment to the earthy sweetness of the potatoes. You can basically use any veggies you have on hand; I used cucumbers, carrots and bell peppers, seasoned with fresh garlic and onion, and WOW, they were so good! My boyfriend was so excited about the pickled vegetables that I had to make a double batch again the next day.
My recipe for these crockpot sweet potato tacos calls for those jewel colored sweet potatoes, but if you can’t find them, no worries! Any sweet potato will do the trick.
Crockpot Sweet Potato Tacos
- 2 medium sweet potatoes purple if you can find them
- Drizzle of avocado oil
- 2 sheets of aluminum foil
- Butter for cooking
- 8 corn tortillas
- Yields 2 pints of veggies
- Cook Time: Minimum 1 hour
- 1 large carrot- cut into matchsticks
- 1 bell pepper- thinly sliced
- 2 Japanese cucumbers- thinly sliced these are the smaller cucumbers, but use what you have
- ½ tsp dried dill
- ¼ onion- thinly sliced (set aside 1/2 t. for the yogurt cilantro sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic- peeled and smashed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
Greek Yogurt Cilantro Sauce
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 lime- juiced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp fresh onion
- 2 green onions- sliced on the diagonal
- Lime wedges
- Wash and prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Rub with avocado oil, then wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Cook in your crockpot on low for 5-6 hours depending on the size of your potatoes. Mine were on the smaller side and took about 5 hours.
- To make the pickled veggies, bring the water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil in a small sauce pan. This is a fume-y process, so open a couple windows. Stuff two pint jars to the brim with thinly sliced veggies. Add in fresh onion and smashed garlic cloves for more flavor. Pour the hot liquid over the vegetables until it reaches the top of each jar. Screw each lid on tightly and let cool at room temperature for one hour before transferring to the fridge. The pickles only get better with time and will be good in the fridge for about a month.
- For the Greek yogurt cilantro sauce, blend together all the ingredients in your blender. This can also be made ahead and kept in a covered container in the fridge until the potatoes are ready.
- Carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the crockpot and squeeze gently with a dish towel to determine softness. We want them fully cooked through. Unwrap the cooked sweet potatoes and slice into thick wedges. Heat a skillet over medium heat, then add in about a tablespoon of butter. Fry each side of the sweet potato discs until golden brown, salting each side after cooking. Add more butter as needed.
- Next, heat the corn tortillas. I like mine with a little char, so I put them directly on the gas burner and use tongs to flip. You can heat them on a skillet as well with a little butter.
- Build the tacos: sweet potato, tons of pickled veggies, a generous pour of yogurt cilantro sauce, topped with sliced green onion and a drizzle of lime juice. Serve with a side of spiced black beans. Enjoy!