Let me tell you about this roasted veggie sheet pan salad, and why you’ll want to be making it at least once a week. First of all, it’s very hands off, but still has tons of flavor, texture, and nutrients, which on busy nights is always a win. As advertised, most of the ingredients are roasted together on a sheet pan, which makes for easy cooking, but also lovely, rich flavors.
Quite possibly my favorite thing about this roasted veggie sheet pan salad, is that it is completely customizable; I make it every week and each time it is a little different, but no less delicious. In today’s recipe, I used a sweet potato, broccoli, red onion, tons of garlic, and baked them all together. I’ve also used cauliflower, butternut squash, apple, zucchini, Brussels sprouts, and carrots. So treat my ingredients as a guide and use what you have.
The final step in this roasted veggie sheet pan salad, is the salad part. I always keep a couple containers of cooked grains in my fridge, which makes quick meals a dream to throw together. Quinoa is fantastic in this recipe, and also keeps well in the fridge. As far as greens go, if you’re planning on eating this salad right away, any mixed greens will do. However, if you are meal prepping this to have as meals later in the week, I would recommend kale, which is hearty enough to stand up to the moisture from the vegetables.
Roasted Veggie Sheet Pan Salad
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 head of broccoli
- ¼ red onion
- 6 cloves of garlic- unpeeled
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup cold cooked quinoa roughly 1/2-1/3 cup dry
- 2 cups chopped kale my bunch of kale was huge, and I only needed 2-3 stalks
- 1 tbsp red onion- minced
- 1 clove of garlic- minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp honey or maple syrup for vegan option
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel and chop the sweet potato into thin strips, this will allow it to cook at the same time as the rest of the ingredients. Cut the broccoli into florets, and the red onion into 1 inch chunks. Rinse the chickpeas very well and allow them to drain as much of the water as possible. Add all of the sheet pan ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss to even coat with the olive oil and spices.
- Spread the veggies evenly on a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes, stirring carefully after the first fifteen minutes. Do not wash the mixing bowl.
- The quinoa is best cold, this allows it to dry out and mix better. However if you don’t have any pre-made, that’s ok. Follow the cooking instructions on your bag of quinoa, then after it is done, spread it out on cookie sheet so it can at least come to room temperature. Wash and chop the kale into small strips. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients in the reserved mixing bowl. Allow it to rest while the veggies are cooking. If you are meal prepping, pour the dressing into a small jar at this point, and only dress the salad right before eating.
- After the sheet pan is done roasting, set the tray on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Once the veggies are room temperature, add them to the mixing bowl, along with the quinoa and kale. Mix well to evenly distribute the dressing.
- Top with nuts and seeds of your choice, I prefer walnuts and hemp seeds, and enjoy!