Tomorrow is looking like a nutty day with six auditions crammed into a five hour period. So I’ll be keeping this post short and sweet, rather like this individual molten chocolate cake. With only a ten minute bake time, an ooey, gooey center, and a handful ingredients, this is a dessert you can whip up just because.
I’ve been making versions of this individual molten chocolate cake for the past eight years, ever since I moved to Los Angeles. It started out from a magazine clipping my mom sent me, and since I was single, and living on my own, it was the perfect treat. The first time I ever made this individual molten chocolate cake, it was Valentines Day in this new city. I baked a perfect little cake, and took it up to my apartment’s rooftop patio, and ate it as the sun set. I remember thinking that I had never been happier.
Over the years I have refined the recipe, and bake time, and the results are just what you need for an afternoon treat, or for dessert topped with fresh fruit or jam. I use 72% dark chocolate, minimal sugar, and just a pinch of gluten free flour. Most weeks, my boyfriend requests this individual molten chocolate cake after dinner, and we share it together, and I have never been happier.
Individual Molten Chocolate Cake
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup 72% dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a small ramekin and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together slowly, stirring carefully.
- While the chocolate is melting, whisk together the egg, sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Pour about a quarter of the melted chocolate into the egg mixture and whisk quickly. This will bring the temperature up so we don’t end up with scrambled eggs. Add the rest of the melted chocolate and whisk again.
- Stir in the flour until just combined. Scrape every last morsel into the ramekin and bake for 10 minutes. The cake is done when the edges are firm, but the center is still soft. Ovens vary so watch yours like a hawk. Enjoy right away with the toppings of your choice. Some of my favorites are fresh fruit, peanut butter (super rich), whipped cream, jam, and powdered sugar.