On a chilly winter day, there is nothing better than baking and cake, agreed? I made this paleo applesauce tea cake this week, when the wind was howling, and all I wanted was to bundle up, sip my favorite cuppa, and enjoy a few bites of something sweet.
To make this paleo applesauce tea cake grain free, I used a combination of almond and cassava flours, which made for the softest texture. As with most grain-free baking, the cake will need to rest after it comes out of the oven. This is the hardest part, because your kitchen will smell like warm, spiced apples.
This paleo applesauce tea cake has chunks of apple hidden inside, as well as flax seeds for a little chew, and crumbled walnuts on top. Plus it only has a quarter cup of coconut sugar, so you can feel good snacking any time of day!
Paleo Applesauce Tea Cake
Yields One 9” round cake
1 cup unsweetened applesauce + 1 t. baking soda
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil + more for greasing pan
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup cassava flour
1 T. flax seeds
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. cardamom
1/4 t. allspice
1/2 an apple- roughly chopped
1/4 cup crumbled raw walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Stir together the applesauce and baking soda and set aside. You’ll want to use a bowl big enough for the applesauce to double in size.
2. Grease a 9” round cake pan. Cut a round piece of parchment paper for the bottom of the pan and place on top of the oil. Set aside.
3. Stir together all the dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, and coconut sugar. Then add the applesauce and dry ingredients, stirring until combined. Fold in the roughly chopped apples.
4. Scrape all of the batter into the prepared cake pan, smoothing the batter to the edges of the pan. Top with the crumbled walnuts.
5. Bake the cake for 30 minutes, then allow it to rest in the pan, on a cooling rack for another 30 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the cake, then place one hand flat on the cake, and flip the cake over. Peel off the parchment paper, flip the cake right side up, and allow it to cool completely on the cooling rack.
Enjoy with your favorite hot beverage and stay warm!