I know what you’re thinking, “back to back collagen recipes?” My answer: absolutely. You can never have enough ways in which to incorporate collagen into your diet. And for those of you who aren’t coffee drinkers, yet want to hop onto the drinkable collagen train, I have this spiced collagen hot chocolate recipe.
As you may already know, collagen has exploded onto the health and wellness market over the past few years. That is because it is so incredibly good for you, and is an essential part of your diet. Not only is it amazing for your skin, but is also supports joint health, builds muscle, prevents bone loss, and is good for your heart. So you can sip on this spiced collagen hot chocolate, knowing you’re caring for your body from the inside out.
The idea for this spiced collagen hot chocolate came to me a couple days ago. It has been brutally windy and cold here in Los Angeles (I know, I know, it’s strange to complain about the weather here, but it’s all relative ok?), and I was craving something warm, soothing, and comforting, that wasn’t tea or coffee. Adding the collagen was honestly an afterthought, but since I hadn’t had my daily dose, I thought I might as well try it. And WOW. I chugged an entire mug in about, oh, 30 SECONDS. Tops.
There are many brands and types of collagen to choose from, I’ve tried quite a few. For this spiced collagen hot chocolate, I used unflavored Keto Collagen from Ancient Nutrition. It added just the right amount of creaminess, and blends beautifully into liquids without too much whisking involved.
Spiced Collagen Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup coconut milk or milk of your choice
- 1 ½ tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 scoop unflavored or vanilla collagen
- ½ tsp vanilla omit if using vanilla collagen
- Pinch of chili powder
- coconut whipped cream- optional but delicious
- Heat coconut milk in a small sauce pan. When the milk is hot to the touch (it only takes a couple minutes), pour in all the ingredients and whisk vigorously.
- Reduce heat and cook for a couple more minutes to let the flavors develop, whisking a few more times.
- Enjoy hot with coconut whipped cream (I find mine at Trader Joe’s), a pinch of cinnamon, or extra dark chocolate grated on top.