I’ll keep this one short and sweet, kind of like these flourless chocolate mini muffins. Late last week, I whipped up a batch for snack, and all 12 were gone in under 30 minutes! They have a luscious chocolate flavor without being overly sweet, just the thing for an afternoon pick-me-up.
These flourless chocolate mini muffins are made with almond butter, which is incredibly easy to make on your own. I roasted 2 cups of raw almonds at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes. Once they had cooled slightly, I blended them in my food processor with coconut oil. It takes a few minutes to really get creamy, but it is so worth it! I like adding a little cinnamon to my almond butter, or even cardamom.
You will also need almond flour, dates, cocoa powder, a couple eggs, and a decent protein powder. I used chocolate plant based protein powder in these flourless chocolate mini muffins, but vanilla would work as well.
*Note: I haven’t tried making these in a standard size muffin tin. Adjust your baking time as needed by checking the muffins with a toothpick after 15 minutes.
Flourless Chocolate Mini Muffins
- 2 eggs
- 5 dates- pitted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil, then turn off the stove. Cut the dates in half and place in the water. Soak for 15 minutes. Take the eggs out of the fridge to bring them to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain the dates and place in your food processor. Pulse to break up as much as possible, scraping down the edges as needed. Allow dates to cool a little before adding the eggs. Pulse again.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse a few more times.
- Grease a mini muffin tin with coconut oil. Scoop in the batter, filling 12 holes. Use all the batter, the cups will be full, and that’s ok. Top each muffin with a couple chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Over-baking will lead to dry muffins. Let muffins rest in the pan for 5 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack.
- Try not to eat them all at once!