My boyfriend has a pretty spectacular sweet tooth, and after recently devouring a package of super thin cookies, requested that I make a healthy version for him to snack on. These kinds of challenges are my favorite, and so I got to work developing these gf crispy oatmeal cookies.
Minimal ingredients and low sugar were at the top of my list, as were gluten free, and dairy free. My first few batches of these gf crispy oatmeal cookies, were anything but crunchy! But after a few dozen, gladly consumed by my resident cookie monster, I figured it out. Because I use only oat flour, minimal sugar, and coconut oil, these cookies don’t really spread a ton. The key is to press them into thin rounds first with your fingers, then with the bottom of a jar. The results are exactly what we (he) were looking for.
The perfect companion to your favorite glass of milk, coffee, or chia tea latte, these gf crispy oatmeal cookies are sure to keep your afternoons full and satisfying.
Gf Crispy Oatmeal Cookies
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cream together the oil and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and continue mixing another couple minutes. Stir in the vanilla.
- Pulse the oats in your blender until they resemble flour, with a few coarse pieces here and there. Mix all the dry ingredients and add to the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of dough into your hands, roll into a ball, then press it into a flat round on a baking sheet. Continue until all the dough is used. Next, take a glass or jar, and firmly press the cookies again. If the dough is sticking to the glass, rub a little coconut oil on the bottom of the glass before moving on.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, then let rest another 10 minutes on the tray. Move to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. For a pretty effect, melt 1 teaspoon of dark chocolate with 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil. Drizzle the chocolate over the cookies however you wish! Cookies are best enjoyed when dipped in your milk, coffee, or tea of choice.
2 thoughts on “Gf Crispy Oatmeal Cookies”
Oh wow, I want to go home and try these right now!
One of my new favorite snacks!