Hello dear readers! I hope this finds you all healthy, mentally and physically. Amidst all of this craziness, I am trying to keep focused on what makes me happy. And as you’ve probably guessed, cooking is one of them. Given the state of things, I find myself keeping my meals simple, using only what I have on hand. So I thought this recipe for basic overnight chia oats might help you change up your breakfasts, as it has mine.
What I love about these basic overnight chia oats: minimal ingredients. You can have as much fun with the toppings as you want, but for the porridge itself, you will only need rolled oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, milk or water, and the sweetener of your choice. I have successfully used honey, maple syrup and coconut sugar. I used a mixture of milk and water in my recipe, just to conserve milk a little bit, but you can use either or both with great results. The ratio is easy to remember; 1:1 oats to liquid.
Once you have these basic overnight chia oats down, you can start to have fun! Try adding nut butters, various spices like cardamon and nutmeg, fresh fruit, even brewed coffee with milk.
Basic Overnight Chia Oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup milk - I used coconut
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- I make my overnight oats in individual containers. Leftover jam jars are my favorite, but you can use any container with a lid.
- Pour half the ingredients into one jar, half into another. Alternatively you can just use one larger container.
- Stir well. Put on the lid, then refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, scoop into your favorite bowl and top with anything or nothing. Today I used fresh strawberries, blueberries, raw walnuts, and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Stay healthy!