Summer is over, and a cool wind greets me in the mornings. And so we enter into another busy fall. I always strive to eat healthy, and when I’m on the go, it can be especially difficult. Recently, I made these raw date and nut bites, and they are the perfect alternative to processed protein bars.
As with most of my recipes, you can use whatever you have on hand. I used a combination of pecans, almonds, and walnuts for this recipe for raw date and nut bites. With the addition of chia and hemp seeds, you end up with a real protein-packed snack.
One of my favorite things about these raw date and nut bites, is that they’re easy! I can listen to my podcasts while I mold the mixture and don’t have to worry about any timers or specific instructions. I kept mine simple and let the nuts and spices do the talking, but you can get crazy and add in your favorite pretzels, dried fruits, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, the possibilities are endless!
Raw Date and Nut Bites
Yields 20-24 bites
6 dates- pitted
1/2 cup raw pecans
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1 T. flax meal
1 T. chia seeds
1 T. hemp seeds
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1/2 t. orange zest (optional)
1. Begin by pulsing the dates in your food processor. We want them broken up, but not quite a paste. They will form one big mass. Remove the date mixture and set aside.
2. Next, pulse the nuts until they resemble very coarse sand. I like to leave a few big chunks for added texture.
3. Add the date mixture back into the food processor, placing it on top of the nuts in four equal parts. This allows it to mix better. Add in the spices, seeds, and orange zest if using. Pulse again.
4. Using a tablespoon or big soup spoon, scoop a dollop of the mixture into your hand. Squeeze firmly until it comes together. I shaped mine into balls, which was easy to store.
5. Place completed bites into an airtight container and refrigerate for at least an hour before tasting. Store remaining bites in the fridge or freezer and enjoy!